Tuesday, September 8, 2009

"The Jamaica Idea"

The Jamaica Idea

When someone says Jamaica, what do people usually think of? Reggae music? Jamaicans? Well, when you live in Jamaica part of Queens, it’s not only (no offense) black people, but also Hispanics, Asians (which includes Indians), Greeks, and many more. It’s a pretty diverse part of Queens in my opinion.

When one decides to go to Jamaica Avenue, you will see many different types of people interacting with each other.

When you walk around Jamaica Avenue, you could see the different type of people. The reason why I think this diversion is possible is because of all the public transportation available for all these people to be able to get to different places on their own without worrying about traffic and what not. There is a Bus Terminal in Jamaica right across the Central library.


But personally, the buses that I usually take are either the Q25 or the Q34. Because of my dad being so, “Over Protective” so I won't get my license revoked by the DMV if I do anything that would cause either myself or someone else to get injured... *sighs*


TADA!!



I am forced to take the bus even though I am able to drive, sadly. The Q25 and Q34 takes you from Jamaica -Archer Ave and Parsons Blvd to Flushing Roosevelt Ave and Main Street. The first time I got onto the bus, alone, it was very frightening because of two reasons. One, because I had no clue where I was headed and two people on the bus scare me. Now that they have the "limited" buses, it freaks me out when the bus goes pass the stop I originally wanted to get off. curse the limited bus!!!!!!

" I, Karuna Kumari, state that I am a New York State licensed driver, yet I still pay $4.50 everyday to get to and from college"


Another transportation around Jamaica would be the subway. The F train is the one more closer to me, but there's also the E train. F train takes you all the way to Coney Island (YAY!!).


Since I'm Indian (we're part of Asia too believe or not !!!) There are many Indian Temples around in Jamaica. There's one on Hillside Avenue also another one right by my middle school M.S. 217.




Overall, since I've been living in Jamaica for the past 18 years, there's nothing you cant find in Jamaica. If you are not able to find what you need in Jamaica, well then hop onto a bus or a train and off you go to your adventure to a neighborhood you probably are not familiar with (the Queens Center Mall doesn't count).

: D

(you might have to take the train or the bus for this heehee)


0 comments:

Post a Comment